Pages

15 November 2007

Congenial Spirits: The Selected Letters of Virginia Woolf

CONGENIAL SPIRITS: THE SELECTED LETTERS OF VIRGINIA WOOLF has remained by my bedside for 11 years now. Whether she writes on writing or love, politics or household crises, Woolf is warm, original and sharp as a tack. But it isn’t just her wit, her wisdom and her acuity that make her exceptional. It is also that she is vulnerable and crazy. What could make for a better correspondent?

With the single exception of my present partner, this volume of her letters is about the finest bedtime experience I’ve ever had. And for those less of the flesh, I’ll put it this way: This collection is for me what the bible probably is for others: nightly enrichment. Virginia Woolf is the man--and I know she'd love me for saying that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your present partner must be pretty damn good to be better than Woolf's letters....